Rules for Adult Indoor Basketball
- Individuals utilizing this facility do so at their own risk. The property owners, league operators, officers and owners and staff of the Sportsplex at Metuchen assume no liability for any injuries or accidents, which may occur. Please refer to our Liability and Injury Waiver Release Forms.
- Conduct within the facility and on the courts should be conducted in the spirit of good sportsmanship.
- No food, drinks, chewing tobacco, chewing gum, spitting, or cleats permitted on playing surface. No sunflower seeds or similar type products are permitted in the facility.
- No glass containers on the playing surface or in the player boxes.
- The Sportsplex at Metuchen reserves the right to refuse play or service to anyone.
Sign Up Guidelines and Fees:
- Teams sign up on a first come, first served basis.
- Teams can sign up any time before session start date. Deposits and individual fee payments will only be refunded if the Sportsplex at Metuchen does not have a league spot available for you or your team.
- Full-payment is required before your first game, or your team spot could be forfeited.
- If full payment is made after the deadline, late fees will be charged.
- No teams will be accepted after the first game of league play.
- No individual will be allowed to participate in any league games, practice session, tournament, clinic, open pick-up game, or other activities until a release form has been properly completed and signed.
- Individuals that sign up will be placed in the Sportsplex at Metuchen database where other teams may contact you to recruit you for their team. If you still are not on a team, and there are enough players for a team, the Sportsplex at Metuchen will create a team from all the individuals in the database.
Player rosters must be turned in prior to the first league game. Changes will be permitted prior to the third game. Failure to comply will result in forfeiture of all games played with illegal players. Players may only be added later, if a player is injured and removed from the roster for the remainder of the session. Proof of injury must be provided. Acceptable proof shall be a stamped doctor's note. At the discretion of management, a team may claim hardship and add one player after the third game for a fee of $25.
- Tennis shoes or similar sport court shoes are required for all players.
- Teams must be dressed in matching colored jerseys with permanent numbers on the back. Any jersey without a number on the back will be a technical foul to start the game for every player without a number on the back of their jersey or can result in the player not being eligible to play.
Game Schedule & Make-Up Games:
If a team is unable to play a scheduled game, the opposing team may choose to accept a forfeit. If both teams agree to a make-up, they will be offered possible times from the facility management office. It will be the team captains or representative’s responsibility to coordinate and select one of the available times. The team requesting to reschedule a match must request a reschedule in writing one week prior to subject game and submit a fee of $60 (to cover lost referee fees). Failure to do so will result in the game being forfeited.
- After the first forfeit, the team that forfeited will be responsible for a $50 fine. The second forfeit, a $50 fine. If a team forfeits three times in one season, they'll be pulled from the league, all money paid will be lost. No Refunds will be issued due to Forfeits.
- Fines for forfeitures must be paid prior to a team continuing the session schedule.
- For adult leagues, forfeiture will be incurred if a team has failed to field the minimum number of players within ten minutes from the start of the game clock for the first game of the night only. Subsequent games shall have only a 10 minute grace period with the clock running, and teams not fielding the minimum number of players at the end of the grace period shall be forfeited.
- For youth leagues, forfeiture will be incurred if a team has failed to field the minimum number of players by game time, although a ten minute grace period will be given, but only to the first game on the schedule. Subsequent games shall have a 10 minute grace period, but the clock will be running and teams not fielding the minimum number of players at the end of the grace period shall be forfeit.
- The minimum number of players to start a game shall be four and you may play the entire game with four players. You may not play with less than four players.
- Any team that doesn't show up will result in a victory for opposing team scored 30-0, and no rescheduled game will be given.
Individuals are expected to play under control and within the rules of the game, and to the best of their ability, while avoiding causing any injuries to themselves and other persons using the facility.
Referees appointed to officiate each game have complete authority on the field of play, and their decisions on points of fact connected with the game are final. Officiating will be monitored and assessed periodically, and management will always try to provide quality officiating at the facility. Constructive comments regarding officiating are welcome and encouraged. Please submit any such comments in writing. Complaints regarding officials should be submitted in writing, contain points of fact, and have your name and the name of your team at the top. Do not discuss officiating or the officials with the facility staff during or immediately after your game.
- The Sportsplex at Metuchen has a ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY toward fighting. Anyone fighting will be ejected and they will be terminated from playing the rest of the session. Furthermore, the situation will be reviewed by the league commissioner to determine whether the player will be banned from the facility for more than one session. The Sportsplex at Metuchen reserves the right to ban permanently any player involved in a fight. It is the responsibility of the player to apply for reinstatement to the facility if he or she is involved in a fight. At this time, the player will receive the terms and conditions of the commissioner's disciplinary action. Any player that does not apply for reinstatement will not be allowed back into the facility. Application for reinstatement may be subject to a fine, as determined by the league commissioner.
- A player or coach sent off in (or after) a game by a referee will automatically be suspended from the next game in the session. In addition, a player will be banned from playing on any other team until the suspension has been served. If a player is ejected in the last game of a session (he/she) will be prohibited from playing in the first game after he/she registers for another session.
- A player or coach sent off for the offense of "foul and abusive language" will be suspended as outlined above.
- A player sent off for the offense of "persistent infraction of the rules after receiving a caution will be suspended as outlined above.
- A player or coach sent off for the offense of "violent conduct" (including, but not limited to: spitting, threatening, continued rough play, etc.) will be suspended as outlined above and, in addition, will be suspended for one additional game and subject to further disciplinary action as decided by the facility management.
- A player or coach sent off for "assaulting an official" will automatically be suspended from any further activities at the Sportsplex at Metuchen.
- Should a coach of a team be unable to control a player's actions after that player was sent-off the court because of disciplinary issues, the coach will, also, be suspended as outlined above.
- A player leaving the bench onto the court to break up or participate in a fight will automatically be ejected from the game and will be subject to the same penalties as outlined above.
- A $100 bond will be required from any team involved in an altercation where more than one player is involved in a fight. Should a bond be placed against a team, the bond must be paid prior to the team's next game, or that game will be forfeited. The terms of the bond will be given in writing to the team. Should the team fail to adhere to the terms, the bond will be forfeited to the arena and the team's participation will be terminated. If the team adheres to the terms of the bond, then the team will receive the $100 bond at the end of the session.
- It is the responsibility of each player and the player's team representative to be aware of the total status of their player's infractions. Failure to comply may result in further disciplinary measures, which may include suspension of the coach/rep, and forfeiture of games in which that player participated.
Intention to file a protest must be noted in writing immediately following the game. A formal written protest with a $20 fee (refundable if upheld), must be submitted to the Sportsplex at Metuchen within 48 hours after the end of a game. The league commissioner will review and have the final authority on all protests. ALL DECISIONS MADE BY THE COMMISSIONER ARE FINAL. Only violations of the laws of the game, rules or guidelines of the facility as published are matters for protest. Any protests regarding fielding of illegal players must be brought to the attention of the game officials prior to the suspected player's) leaving the field of play.
Note: All official NCAA basketball rules apply except for the amended rules below
- Adult Game Length: Two 20 minute halves with a 2 minute half time.
- The clock will run continuously except for the last two minutes before the end of the game.
- During the last two minutes before the end of the game, the clock will stop for the referee's whistle.
- Clock will not stop for made baskets.
- Time outs: Adults will have one full timeout and one thirty second timeout per half (4 total for game)
Shot Clock/Delay of Game:
- There will be no shot clock
- 5 second count is enforced
- 10 seconds to get across half court
- Teams can only substitute when play has stopped. (Free throws, ball-out of bounds etc.)
- Teams may have an unlimited number of substitutions. However, the player being substituted for must be off the court before his/her replacement can enter the game.
Technical Fouls/Foul Out Rule:
- Any player who commits five fouls during the course of the game will be ineligible for the remainder of the game.
- Players who are charged with two technical fouls during any game will be immediately ejected and suspended the following game.
- As a result of any technical foul, the opposing team will have 25 seconds to shoot two free throws and that team will also be awarded possession of the ball.
Levels of Competition:
- The facility will offer the following divisional structure for adult teams:
- Premier- Elite Division for players who have played college or high school basketball.
- Recreational- Recreational Division, The Sportsplex reserves the right to make only one division, if there are not enough available teams for two divisions.
- The Sportsplex at Metuchen reserves the right to make the necessary changes within league divisions to ensure an equal level of ability and competition.
- Players may only be on one roster in a given division and league. Players may participate in more than one division and league. A lower division team may not field more than three players from an upper division. The Sportsplex at Metuchen reserves the right to determine if a player is considered too advanced for a given division and remove the individual from the team roster. This is done in the spirit of maintaining parity in a given division.
- Any players with current or former Collegiate or Professional experience must play Premier Divison. Any Collegiate players that want to play in a lower division must get permission from the league commissioner. No professional player, current or former, can play in a division lower than Premier Division. Any professional players, current or former, caught playing in a lower division will be removed from that team's roster and that team will forfeit every game in which that player played.
In order to play in the playoffs, each player from a given team will had to have played in at least three games in the regular season. No Guest players are allowed in playoff games. Any violation of these rules could result in forfeiture of the playoff game.
Ten players are allowed on the roster. Two guest players may be picked up for any regular season game. These guest players may not be rostered on another team in the league. Elite rostered players may not guest play on recreation teams. Recreation rostered players may play on elite teams. Guest players may not play in the playoffs, only rostered players. To be an official rostered player, your name must be on the roster and you must play in at least half of the league games during the regular season.
All teams are allowed guest players as outlined in the above rules. Guest players may not be rostered on another team in the same league. Guest players can be rostered in other leagues, as long as, the player is playing at the appropriate level. Teams violating any of the general rules regarding guest players will forfeit their game.
The Sportsplex at Metuchen will award prizes to winning teams. Prizes will be discussed prior to the start of each league and session.
If games are cancelled due to weather related cancellations, Sportsplex will not make those games up. There are no refunds or credits.
Please read the Sportsplex at Metuchen Liability form.
Please contact the Sportsplex at 732-494-3000 or visit us at 215 Durham Ave, Metuchen, NJ.